Pale ale (150ml)
2 tbsp of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Mature cheddar cheese, grated (200g)
1 tsp of wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp of double cream
1 egg yolk
1 loaf of sour dough bread
- Serves: 4
- Grab a small pan and stick it over a medium heat.
- Melt the butter, then beat in the flour to make a roux.
- Stir in the beer a little at a time to keep the mixture smooth.
- Bubble for 2 minutes to get rid of any raw flour taste.
- Spoon in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg yolk and pour in the double cream.
- Add the grated cheese slowly, allowing it all to melt in.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Slice the loaf into pieces about 2cm thick.
- Place the bread slices on a tray and grill for a few minutes, until one side is golden brown and crisp.
- Turn the slices over and pour the thick cheese sauce over the un-toasted side of the bread and spread it to the edges, then stick them back under the grill.
- Grill for a few minutes, until the surface of the cheese is blistering and bubbling. Serve and enjoy.