1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a large saucepan over
2. Crumble in beef and brown all over, for about 5 minutes.
3. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic and dried herbs;
cook for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables soften.
4. Add in the wine and reduce by half before stirring in the
stock cube, chopped tomatoes, Heinz tomato ketchup and add a
few dashes of Lea & Perrins to taste and bring to the
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. To make the béchamel sauce, place the milk in a large
non-stick saucepan, add the nutmeg and gently bring to the
7. In a separate saucepan melt the margarine and add the flour.
Beat well and cook for two minutes.
8. Remove the milk from the heat and add a little to the flour
mixture. Combine well, and when all the milk has been absorbed, add
a little more. Continue to do this until all the milk has been
added, whisking continually.
9. Layer the meat sauce, lasagne sheets and béchamel sauce
starting with the meat sauce. Repeat layers until the dish is full,
finishing with béchamel sauce.
10. Sprinkle the grated cheese onto the top of the sauce.
11. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and
bake for 15 minutes or until golden, and heated through.
12. Serve with broccoli on the side.