1 stick of celery
1 clove of garlic
A glug of olive oil
Lamb mince (500g)
1 tbsp of tomato purée
Beef stock (100ml)
3 tbsp of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Maris Piper potatoes (750g)
Milk (150ml, warmed)
Butter (100g, softened)
A small block of blue stilton
- Serves: 6
- Peel and dice the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Glug the oil into a medium hot pan and add the onion, carrot and garlic.
- Fry gently until the onions soften.
- Turn the heat right up before adding the lamb mince.
- Brown the lamb mince well, then add the tomato purée to coat everything.
- Pour in the passata, followed by the stock and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Let the lamb mixture simmer gently for about an hour, until the liquid reduces to a thick sauce.
- Peel the potatoes and place them into a large saucepan.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water, season with salt and heat it to a boil.
- Boil for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are soft, but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes, then return them to a pan and mash well.
- Place the potatoes back on the heat and pour in the milk, a little at a time, and add the butter.
- Continue mashing until the potatoes are smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Pour the lamb mixture into a deep baking dish.
- Spread the mash over the top to seal the mince in.
- Crumble the blue cheese over the mash.
- Place the dish into the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling. Then serve the whole dish at the table with fresh steaming veg and let everyone dig in!