2 sticks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
A glug of olive oil
A small handful of pancetta cubes
Minced beef (750g)
A glass of red wine
4 tbsp of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp of tomato purée
A tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
Beef stock (250ml)
Couple of bay leaves
12 no-cook lasagne sheets
A ball of mozzarella cheese
A block of Parmesan cheese
A handful of basil leaves
- Serves: 6
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the pancetta and brown.
- Dice the carrot, celery, garlic and 1 of the onions.
- Add the beef and brown well.
- Squeeze the tomato purée into the pan and coat everything.
- Then pour in the wine and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let the liquid bubble for a few minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes and the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer for at least an hour to allow the mixture to reduce.
- Halve the other onion and stud with the cloves.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan with the studded onion and bay leaves.
- Melt the butter in another medium sized saucepan.
- Beat in the flour and cook for a minute (making a roux).
- Pour in the strained, infused milk slowly, whisking constantly. Only add more milk once the last has been fully incorporated and is lump free.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spread the meat sauce over the bottom of a rectangle baking dish.
- Cover the layer with lasagne sheets, snapping them where needed to fit the dish.
- Spoon over a little white sauce and top with torn pieces of mozzarella, grated Parmesan and a few torn basil leaves.
- Repeat, finishing with a top layer of lasagne sheets.
- Scatter over a final layer of only cheese, then place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with some salad and garlic bread!